Austin Parks Foundation envisions a community in which the lives of all people are enriched through access to well-maintained public parks, trails and green spaces. Our core values are collaboration, dependability, inclusiveness, innovation, nimbleness and positivity. These guide our decision making and define our internal culture. These values shape what matters to us how we work with each other and our community. Interested in joining our team? Check out open positions below.
Austin Parks Foundation partners with our community to enhance people’s lives by making our public parks, trails and green spaces better through volunteerism, innovative programming, advocacy and financial support. Established in 1992, APF works closely with the City of Austin Parks and Recreation Department to help fill the city’s funding and resource gap needed to develop, maintain and enhance the area’s nearly 300 parks, trails and green spaces.
With a focus on creating equitable access to great parks for all Austinites, APF is helping fill the City's parks funding and resource gap. Funding initiatives like APF’s community-initiated grants have distributed over $3 million since 2006, and the annual flagship volunteer event, It’s My Park Day, results in an average of $650,000 in volunteer labor each year. APF also fosters unique public/private partnerships like the Zilker Train, empowers neighbors all over the city to create a parks system that serves their needs, and is a presenting partner and beneficiary of the popular ACL Music Festival at Zilker Metropolitan Park.
We value collaboration, innovation, dependability and inclusiveness. We embrace diversity and equal opportunity and we are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills. Come join us!
Austin Parks Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer—people of color, people with disabilities, women, and LGBTQIA+ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. We value collaboration, innovation, dependability and inclusiveness. We're committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills. All qualified applicants shall receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, veteran status, or sexual orientation.
Associate Director of Development
Reports to: Chief Development Officer
Date Available: January 2020
Austin Parks Foundation (APF), a non-profit organization focused on preserving, improving and activating parks throughout Austin, is seeking a dynamic and experienced full-time Associate Director of Development to lead two major fundraising programs as part of a thriving development team. APF is making a significant investment in growing its fundraising team, offering a distinct opportunity to join not only this powerful team of dedicated park lovers but to also play a meaningful role in advancing APF’s progressive mission.
The Associate Director of Development position is a unique and exciting role for an individual passionate about the outdoors, healthy lifestyles and protecting and enhancing Austin’s park, trail and green space ecosystem.
About Austin Parks Foundation
Austin Parks Foundation partners with our community to enhance people’s lives by making our public parks, trails and green spaces better through volunteerism, innovative programming, advocacy and financial support.
Established in 1992, APF works closely with the City of Austin Parks and Recreation Department to help fill the city’s funding and resource gap needed to develop, maintain and enhance the area’s nearly 300 parks, trails and green spaces.
APF fosters innovative public/private partnerships and since 2006, has given over $3 million in community-initiated grants in service to the greater Austin community. APF is known for its annual flagship volunteer event, It’s My Park Day, and is the presenting partner and beneficiary of the popular Austin City Limits Music Festival at Zilker Metropolitan Park.
The Associate Director of Development is responsible for the vision and execution of two flagship development programs, Party for the Parks and Groundbreakers. The ideal candidate will be a polished fundraiser who can persuasively communicate the goals and vision of APF to key external and internal partners.
This position will manage and ensure revenue goals are met at Austin Parks Foundation’s annual fall fundraising event, Party for the Parks. The candidate is also responsible for leading Groundbreakers, our leadership giving society.
This function includes curating a membership experience for current members and actively soliciting and securing new members annually. The Associate Director of
Development will employ strategic thinking in adapting and evolving fundraising programs to respond to any new strategic plans and unforeseen market trends. The successful candidate will be a team player and participate in the implementation of a strategy to raise vital funds for APF in the most cost-effective and time-efficient manner.
Oversee Leadership Giving Program
- Oversee portfolio of donors and prospects, developing cultivation strategies and personally making solicitations to individuals to join leadership annual fund membership program.
- Work alongside Chief Development Officer to implement goals and strategies to build a major donor pipeline from annual fund leadership giving.
- Create a vision for how to expand annual fund leadership giving to include annual gifts of up to $9,999.
- Develop program content and execute direct mail and email solicitations of Groundbreakers.
- Coordinate all Groundbreaker acquisition and cultivation events, assisting in the production of event and meeting collateral materials including invitations and handouts.
- Develop robust year-round communication and engagement events to provide an enriching membership experience for Groundbreakers.
- Work collaboratively with Senior Marketing Manager to design and coordinate Groundbreaker marketing materials, including program and web content.
- Evaluate donor data and make informed recommendations for segmented and targeted individual appeals.
Fundraising Event Management
- Serve as the primary project manager for Austin Park Foundation’s largest fundraiser of the year, Party for the Parks, including event committees, auctions, ticket sales, paddles up and oversight of contracted event management company.
- Own reaching set overall revenue target for Party for the Parks and manage expense budget.
- Manage vendor coordination and serve as main point of contact for event production.
- In partnership with other members of the development team, discover, qualify and cultivate corporate and individual sponsors.
- Recruit and activate Host Committee for sponsorship, silent auction and ticket sales.
- Create Host Committee working groups to meet revenue goals in sponsorships, silent experience auction and ticket sales.
- With the marketing team, coordinate event publicity, promotion and event website.
- Work collaboratively with marketing team to design print and email invitations as well as website and mission-driven event materials.
- Develop project timeline and monitor progress to goal monthly and/or weekly, as needed.
- Ensure all sponsorship benefits are fulfilled.
- Implement pre- and post-event planning and communications to ensure effective results and donor relations.
- Other related duties as assigned.
This position will be responsible for working with the Chief Development Officer to design and execute the Austin Parks Foundation’s yearly fundraising revenue goals. As part of a growing development team, contribute to new special projects and administrative duties designated by the Chief Executive Officer. Ensure that all relevant donor portfolio information, including that pertaining to Party for the Parks, is recorded and maintained in donor database.
- Overall work experience of 7+ years required, with 3-5 years of direct development related experience.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and creatively.
- Personal and professional confidence with demonstrated track record of engaging executives and senior leaders.
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills.
- Proven abilities in managing and stewarding key internal and external partnerships.
- Must have exceptional organizational skills and demonstrated ability to accomplish both broad, visionary assignments as well as complex, detailed projects.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines under pressure, listen carefully, learn quickly and work effectively in a small, mission-driven organization.
- Donor database management experience required.
- Positive attitude, highly motivated and driven to excel.
- Honesty, integrity, and enthusiasm; a very strong work ethic, supported by commitment and follow-through.
- Some evening and weekend work required.
APF offers a robust and competitive benefits package that includes health insurance, an IRA with company match, generous time off and much more. The position is full-time with compensation commensurate to the skills level. We value collaboration, innovation, dependability and inclusiveness. We embrace diversity and equal opportunity and we are committed to building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills.
To apply, please submit the following:
- Your resume,
- A cover letter that tells us who you are, what you want to achieve in your career and why APF should strongly consider having a deeper conversation with you
- 3 – 5 professional references
We are always accepting applications, just let us know which semester(s) you are interested in applying for! Check out the About Our Intern Program section for more information on our Intern Program. No phone calls please.
No Current Openings
December 18, 2021 – Student application deadline
January 22, 2022 - Selection deadline
First week of February 2022 ‐ Internship commences
August 31, 2022 - Internship Ends
What kinds of internships does APF offer?
Our goal is to provide a fun and educational work environment while giving real world work experience. In the past we have offered internships in Programs/Community Outreach, Marketing, Development, Events and Operations. Every semester our needs are different so the internships we offer are different.