For 30 years, Austin Parks Foundation has worked tirelessly to pursue our mission of enhancing people’s lives by improving our city’s public parks, trails, and green spaces. With more people choosing to become residents of Austin, our parks are more loved than ever before. The generous support of our community ensures our parks are preserved and well-maintained. Our donors help us make sure safe and vibrant parks are accessible to every Austinite.
Our goal is to improve Austin’s parks by building community through our parks with people at the forefront of our work. We are all parks people.
For as much as our community benefits from our parks and green spaces, they are typically the first community resources to suffer budget cuts during economic downturns. And even more disheartening, they are rarely restored to baseline levels, even in good economic years, leaving them perennially underfunded and under-maintained. Parks are facing pressing needs including maintenance to failing amenities and structures as well as staffing, construction, and other improvements.
APF's Biggest Accomplishments Over the Past 30 Years
- Raising and distributing more than $50 million for the improvement of Austin’s parks, green spaces, and trails.
- Undertaking the complete renovations of Zilker Lawn, the Zilker Eagle, Auditorium Shores, and Republic Square Park.
- Keeping people at the forefront of our work with a hands-on approach, we reach people in their neighborhoods and help them achieve their goals for their parks. To date, we have provided nearly $4 million in Community Grants to neighborhood parks across Austin.
- Generating tens of millions of dollars through budget advocacy for the Parks Department operating budget as well as bond initiatives.
- Inspiring our community to get involved in the maintenance and preservation of their parks through volunteerism impacting nearly all of Austin’s nearly 300 parks.
- Between our individual workdays held throughout the year and 20 years of our largest annual volunteer event, It’s My Park Day, APF has:
- Deployed nearly 100,00 volunteers in our parks
- Accrued more than 300,000 volunteer labor hours
- Invested nearly $6 million in park labor
- Collaborating with people, organizations, leaders, communities, businesses, neighborhoods to not only collectively improve and maintain our parks, but ensure equitable access to green spaces through large financial investment.
As our community continues to grow and change, it is more important than ever for Austin Parks Foundation to enhance the lives of people across our community by improving our public parks, trails, and green spaces.
As Austin continues to change, the need for APF continues to grow. While Austin appears at the top of almost every “best of” list, ParkScore, by the Trust for Public Land, ranks Austin 39th out of the 100 most populous U.S. cities for how well we meet residents’ need for parks. We believe our public parkland should be preserved and maintained. We believe all Austinites, regardless of where they live, have the right to safe, accessible parks. As Austin continues to grow, APF’s challenge will be to leverage a relatively small amount of dollars to make the biggest impact possible and maintain or renew the rate of investment in our parks.